Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Attitude of Gratitude

This morning I read a wonderful article about Kym Hampton, a former WNBA professional basketball player who had a 12-year sports career (she played professionally in Europe and Asia, before the WNBA existed and came calling). In addition to her athletic career, Kym is also an accomplished singer, actress and model. Her positive attitude and passion was evident. This is sampling of what she had to say:

Daily Gratitude

"The most important thing I do every day is immediately give thanks as soon as I open my eyes. I say thank you that I can see, that I can hear, that I am pain free - all the things that we can take for granted. It's important to be grateful for where you are and what you have right now. I remind myself that I am a child of God and I was placed here to do wonderful things. I am here to be special. I am here to let my light shine. I also pray and give thanks. I focus on what I have, not what I don't have. That's been my focal point and things have started to turn around for me."

It's All In Your Head... And That's A Good Thing.

"My own lesson is to relax and do your part by being honest with yourself. Once you find something you're passionate about, do your part. Life is mostly mental. We have ideas planted in us - from parents, teachers, friends - and the things we choose to believe about ourselves impact us. Stop with the negative self-talk. Stop with the self-doubting and enjoy who and where you are. Sometimes we need to revisit our thoughts and ask, why am I allowing this in my life? Everything is mental. We have to check ourselves. When you don't feel good you have to face it. When you start to question yourself you'll get answers. We can be better if we choose to be better. When you start to treat yourself better it shows up in all areas of your life. Buy the best stuff for yourself. The way you treat yourself invites people to treat yourself the same way."

I couldn't agree more! Remember, your thoughts become "things".... your thoughts create your reality. If you are thinking negatively, then you're creating a negative environment around you. If you are thinking positively, then you're creating an atmosphere where you are open to receiving all the goodness this world has to offer. Additionally, focusing on what you do have, is key. If you are always focusing on what you don't have, that is negative and results in a sense of lack, frustration and inertia. If you focus on what you do have and express gratitude for it, you open yourself up to more abundance and create a feeling of fulfillment by realizing all the great things that you are already have in your life.

Try to do what Kym does: when you wake up in the morning, take note of all the things in your life that you are grateful for. By making this an everyday practice, I think you will see amazing results.

No comments: