Friday, May 16, 2008

Bicycle! Bicycle! (Cue Queen's "Bicycle Race")

I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my bike
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride it where I like

Earlier this week, I wrote about "gas guzzling" and the documentary "Who Killed the Electric Car?". So it is definitely apropos that I follow up that post, with the subject of today's post: BICYCLES! May is National Bike Month. This week is Bay State Bike Week. I actually rode my bike to and from my day job all week. And this morning, as I turned onto Mass Ave from Beacon Street, to head across the river to Cambridge, I was greeted by a Bay State Bike Week volunteer who promptly handed me a nice water bottle with the cutest logo on it, that I had seen earlier this week. Check it out!

Kick gas, indeed! There are many virtues to bike riding; not only is it environmentally friendly, it is a great workout! And depending on where you're going (and how far!), it is usually a lot faster than public transportation. It is also easy on your wallet. Each year, I spend very little on bicycle repairs and save lots of money on train and bus fare and by not filling up my gas tank. And most important of all? It's fun!

Today is the deadline to register for the 50,000 Mile Commuter Challenge. You can sign up by CLICKING HERE. For more information about Bay State Bike Week, CLICK HERE. And save the date: September 21, 2008 is this year's Hub on Wheels, which is a citywide bike ride and festival. Storrow Drive is completely closed to traffic that day, to make way for bikes! Go to Hub on Wheels' site by CLICKING HERE. Can't wait until September? This coming Sunday, May 18th is Bicycle Beacon Street Day in Brookline, where Beacon Street will be completely closed to traffic from end-to-end, allowing cyclists to pedal the length of Beacon Street without having to share the road with cars. Want more info? CLICK HERE

Have fun, get out there and cycle! Great exercise, great for the environment and saves you money. Don't own a bike? Not to worry! There are plenty of places to rent one! Landry's on Commonwealth Ave (at St. Paul Street), Boston Bicycle Shop on Beacon Street (at Arundel near Park Drive) or Back Bay Bicycles on Commonwealth Ave (at Mass Ave, subterranean), among others.

No comments: