Sunday, August 12, 2007

Healthy Fast Food in the City!

* Today I am leaving for a meditation retreat, led by Thich Nhat Hanh. There will be no new postings until after my return, as I won't have access to email or phone. *

HEALTHY FAST FOOD OPTIONS IN BOSTON

I know, I know. Healthy fast food is an oxymoron, right? Well, not if you check out the menu at some of my favorites places in the city where you can get healthy, quality food, fast.

Check out B. Goods in Back Bay or Harvard Square (with a Coolidge Corner location to be open soon). My favorites are the new American Salad, the Venetian Veggie Burger and the raspberry fruit shake. Go to http://www.bgood.com/

Another favorite is The Other Side Cafe at the corner of Mass Ave and Newbury Street on the cusp of Back Bay and Fenway. Huge sandwiches (my favorites are The Tess and The Brie Cheese) and a great selection of smoothies and it is one of only a few places in the city where you can order a shot of wheat grass or a wheat grass smoothie. Yum! Although they don't have a website, they do have a nice little outdoor patio. Lots of vegetarian and vegan options available!

Remember "The Wrap"? Well, they changed their name to BoLoCo a while ago and I go there and get a whole wheat tortilla burrito with brown rice and vegetables (love the carrots and broccoli) and it is delicious. There are many locations throughout the city (Newbury Street, Mass Ave, Downtown etc.). Check out http://boloco.com/ Their tag line is "inspired burritos"!

And finally, my last favorite is Whole Foods. Their prepared food section has plenty of healthy and quick options. And many locations have a very big salad bar with diverse, fresh options. A current favorite of mine is their Avocado Sandwich. For $5.99 you get a large sandwich of whole grain bread, cucumber, watercress, avocado and whipped feta with a little spice to it. Super yummy and super healthy. A great source of good fat and a tasty little sandwich! Whole Foods has several locations in Cambridge, Boston (Fenway, Beacon Hill), Brighton and more. To find the closest Whole Foods, go to http://wholefoods.com/stores/index.html

If you have any healthy fast food suggestions around Boston, please drop me a line and let me know your favorites!

Peace!

No comments: