Thursday, August 23, 2007

Mindfulness Retreat: Part II

The grounds of Stonehill College are beautiful. It was the idyllic setting for my meditation retreat. Immaculate landscapes, replete with soaring trees, green grass, brooks, ponds and many various species of plants and flowers. Everywhere you looked was a feast for the eyes, all against a backdrop of blue skies as far as the eye could see.

Being in this calm and beautiful setting, out in nature, with warm sun on your back, it was pretty easy to be amazed at Mother Nature. During my time outdoors there, I saw a grasshopper (haven't seen one of those in a dog's age!), hundreds of dragonflies (my favorite... well, it's a tie with butterflies), echelon of birds and geese flying high above, big frogs, little turtles and a river otter. I love animals and this just really made my heart sing. Along the way, some nearby residents brought their dogs to the campus and those of us on retreat who missed our pets, had a chance to play with them. There was also a campus cat and a group of super cute skunks.

One of the children's song, sung in the children's program, goes like this:

I love nature; nature is cool.
The forest is my classroom; the Earth is my school.
Trees are my teachers; animals are my friend.
And on this school, all life depends.


For photos I took of the lovely grounds, go to:
Buddhist Retreat with Thich Nhat Hanh

No comments: